Medical insurance alternatives?

Prescription overload? Discuss topics such as medication costs and best practices for managing medications with mail-order and retail pharmacies.

Moderator: medforummod

shaneoc

Medical insurance alternatives?

Postby shaneoc » Wed May 25, 2016 8:05 am

29 year old male, currently employed by a small business in Texas. Since my employer hasn't provided insurance in the past two years (I guess because of Obamacare?) I have had to insure myself and my family privately. I/ve been using a PPO on Blue Cross but man, the insurance premiums keep going up. Just got a letter last week that they'll be going up another 8% at renewal.

What are others doing about insurance these days? I thought rates were supposed to start going down thanks to our 'new and improved' healthcare system....

renegade

Re: Medical insurance alternatives?

Postby renegade » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

I hear ya. It's getting ridiculous. I just went with a plan with a much higher deductible to get my premiums in check, but I'm sure they'll continue to go up as well.

Be careful if you switch from a PPO - some very well known hospitals (like MD Anderson) may not recognize your plan from my understanding,

shaneoc wrote:29 year old male, currently employed by a small business in Texas. Since my employer hasn't provided insurance in the past two years (I guess because of Obamacare?) I have had to insure myself and my family privately. I/ve been using a PPO on Blue Cross but man, the insurance premiums keep going up. Just got a letter last week that they'll be going up another 8% at renewal.

What are others doing about insurance these days? I thought rates were supposed to start going down thanks to our 'new and improved' healthcare system....

renegade

Re: Medical insurance alternatives?

Postby renegade » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 pm

You're not alone......

Your options are:

1. Choose a higher deductible plan
2. Look for a creative option (some groups like IEEE used to have group coverage - not sure if they still do)
3. Find a different/bigger employer with a larger risk pool to pick from
4. Affordable Care Act (but only if you qualify). The hhs.gov site walks you through the qualification wizard.

Of course, you can always stick with your plan but the annual increase in premiums will most likely be out of your control and you run the risk of getting dropped entirely.

Return to “Managing Prescriptions”