Prostate Cancer - prevention?

Seek support and advice from members for those suffering from cancer and treatment side effects.

Moderator: medforummod

cowboy

Prostate Cancer - prevention?

Postby cowboy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 am

The men on both sides of my family have a history of prostate cancer. Does anyone have experience with preventative measures (foods, meds, lifestyle, etc?) I'm mid-20s and get regular checks but want to try to stay ahead of it and prevent it in my future if possible.

ebradley

Re: Prostate Cancer - prevention?

Postby ebradley » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Good question. Hope you like your veggies!

There are a lot of prostate cancer articles on the web that discuss preventative foods. See http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/in-depth/prostate-cancer-prevention/art-20045641 for an example.

What I've seen/read about:
1. Tomatoes (lycopene)
2. Broccoli
3. Green Tea
4. Beans, peanuts, and lentils
5. Pomegranate juice
6. Fish (but be careful to get mercury-free and the higher omega-3 varieties)

cowboy wrote:The men on both sides of my family have a history of prostate cancer. Does anyone have experience with preventative measures (foods, meds, lifestyle, etc?) I'm mid-20s and get regular checks but want to try to stay ahead of it and prevent it in my future if possible.

Aarongoode

Prostate Cancer prevention

Postby Aarongoode » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Need another reason to exercise? A recent study found that even a moderate amount of exercise reduced overall mortality ratesin men with prostate cancer.

Return to “Cancer”