PERSONAL INFORMATION: WHAT WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT.
We receive and/or collect Personal Information from you to measure and improve the service provided to you by the Site in the following ways:
2. User Account Information. When you create or reconfigure an account, you provide some personal information, such as your name, username, password, email address, or phone number.
3. Information You Provide: We collect the content and other information you provide when you use the services provided by the Site, including when you sign up for an account, create or share, and message or communicate with others. This can include information in or about the content you provide, such the date a file was created. We also collect information about how you use the services provided by the Site, such as the types of content you view or engage with or the frequency and duration of your activities. Your Submissions help us with administration of our sites and services and includes any information you voluntarily provide, generally through free form text boxes, forums, uploading a document or authorizing us to retrieve and import information from another user or third party on your behalf.
4. Device Information: We collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access the services provided by the Site, depending on the permissions you’ve granted. We may associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent services across your devices. Here are some examples of the device information we collect:
1. Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers.
2. Device locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals.
3. Connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address.
5. Transaction Information: We collect information about how you interact with and use our Sites and services and how you interact with business partners and advertisers.
CHOICE REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION
We will collect personal identification information from you only if you voluntarily submit such information to us. At all times, you may choose whether or not to provide or disclose Personal Information. You can always refuse to supply personally identification information, except that it may prevent you from engaging in certain Site related communications that involve our interaction with you or enjoying the services that the Site offers. Users may visit our Site anonymously.
If you choose to participate in any of the community oriented parts of www.medicineforums.com, such as the forum, the User should be aware that any personally identifiable information the User chooses to submit can be read, collected, and used by others and may appear in search engines. User information may also be shared with third party service providers. CCV is not responsible for the personally identifiable information the User chooses to submit and strongly recommend against sharing any personal health or other sensitive information that could directly or indirectly be traced to any individual, including yourself. We reserve the right to terminate the accounts of visitors who use these services in a manner inconsistent with our Terms Policy.
HOW WE USE COLLECTED INFORMATION
We may use Personal Information collected from you in one or more of the following ways:
- to enable site features, and to retrieve and provide analysis of data you choose to enter into the Site,
- to send you important notices, such as communications about changes to your account, and our Site’s and services' terms, conditions, or policies,
- to solicit input and feedback to improve our Site and services and customize your user experience,
- to enable you to communicate with other Users,
- to contact you via email, telephone, text or chat in a manner required by law,
- to meet contractual obligations,
- to send you reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, newsletters, support and administrative messages, and service bulletins, By providing us your email address when creating a user account you explicitly agree that we may send you such updates, newsletters, and requests,
- to inform you about new products or promotional offers, or other opportunities which we feel will be of interest to you, and to provide advertisements to you through our Site, email messages, text messages, applications, or other methods of communication,
- to manage our Site’s administration, forum management, or fulfillment,
- to provide customer service and technical support,
- to administer surveys, sweepstakes, giveaways, contests, or similar promotions or events sponsored by us or our partners,
- for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services, and communications,
- to allow you to sign up for special offers from third parties through our sites,
- to use anonymized personal information to run (or authorize third parties to run) statistical research on individual or aggregate trends.
In addition to the uses described above, we may use Personal Information that we collect for other purposes that are disclosed to you at the time we collect the information, or with your consent.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share Personal Information about you with third parties in the following circumstances:
- We may engage third parties to perform services on our behalf, including maintenance services, hosting, data storage, security, analytics and data analysis, payment processing, assisting in marketing efforts, email and text message distribution, customer service, providing certain interactive tools, and conducting surveys and sweepstakes.
- Your Personal Information, and the contents of all of your online communications on or through our Site may be accessed and monitored as necessary to operate our Site, and may be disclosed:
- to satisfy any applicable laws or regulations,
- to defend ourselves in litigation or a regulatory action,
- in order to protect the rights or property of CCV and our affiliates, including to enforce our Site’s Terms Policy,
- when we have a good faith belief that we are required to disclose the information in response to legal process (for example, a subpoena, court order, or search warrant),
- where we believe our Site is being used in the commission of a crime, including to report such criminal activity or to exchange information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and risk management, and
- when we have a good faith belief that there is an emergency that poses a threat to the health and/or safety of you, another person, or the public generally.
- In addition to the instances described above, we may share Personal Information that we collect in a manner disclosed to you at the time we collect the information, or with your consent.
PROTECTING PERSONAL AND PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
The security of our Site and the information it stores, processes and transmits is a top priority. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of the information we collect, we deploy a wide range of technical, physical and administrative safeguards, including: Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption, firewalls, system alerts and other information system security technologies; housing health data in secure facilities that restrict physical and network access; and regular evaluation and enhancement of our information technology systems, facilities, and information collection, storage and processing practices. Under applicable law, we are required to apply reasonable and appropriate measures to safeguard the confidentiality, integrity and availability of individually identifiable health information (as such term is defined by HIPAA) residing on and processed by our Site.
It is important to remember, however, that no system can guarantee 100% security at all times. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of information stored on or transmitted to or from our services. We cannot assume responsibility or liability for unauthorized access to our servers and systems. When disclosing any personal or protected health information, you should remain mindful of the fact that it is potentially accessible to the public and, consequently, can be collected and used by others without your consent. Accordingly, you should consider carefully if you want to submit sensitive information that you would not want disclosed to the public and should recognize that your use of the Internet and our Site is solely at your risk. You are ultimately responsible for maintaining the secrecy for all your personal information, including your protected health information. We have no responsibility or liability to anyone for the security of your personal or protected health information transmitted via the Internet.
Steps You Can Take
- Install malware detection programs that regularly scan your system and incoming traffic for malicious code such as computer viruses, worms, Trojan Horses and spyware. Because viruses and malware are continuously created and modified, regular malware protection software typically requires frequent updates.
- Use a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to your device.
- Because malware often targets vulnerabilities in existing operating systems, browsers, plug-ins and other programs, software vendors frequently update their products with security patches to guard against known or commonly exploited vulnerabilities. Vendors often try to alert their users and recommend immediate installation of these security patches.
- Use a strong password using a combination of letters and numbers that are not easily guessed. Do not share your password with others.
- If you use a shared device, always close all active programs and log out before leaving it unattended.
- Avoid using a public wireless network, if possible. If you do use a public network, use the most restrictive wireless network settings on your device.
- If you use file-sharing programs, be sure to restrict all other folders or directories to "no share".
- Be very cautious with any email requesting you to share personal information. On websites, look for the lock symbol on or near your browser's address bar which signifies a secure website before supplying personal information.
- When participating in one of our communities, blogs, forums, surveys or other open communication platforms, exercise care in selecting what information you share, particularly personal or health information.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION BY THIRD-PARTY SITES
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
You explicitly agree that we may send you notifications regarding the Site, our services, third party’s notifications and/or advertisements, and requests to rate our Site. You may choose not to receive future promotional, advertising, or activity related emails from us by selecting an unsubscribe link at the bottom of emails/notification that you receive from us.
OPTING OUT OF REQUESTED COMMUNICATIONS: Requested communications include, for instance, email newsletters that may be expressly requested by you or which you consented to receive. After you request such communications, you may "opt out" of receiving them by using one of the following methods:
- Select the email "opt out" or "unsubscribe" link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each email communication.
- Return to the web page(s) where you originally registered your preferences and follow the opt-out instructions.
If you are a registered user of the services provided by the Site, we provide you with tools and account settings to access, correct, delete, or modify the personal information you provided to us and associated with your account.
Protecting your privacy and security is important and we also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your data.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical.
When your account is deactivated, it is not viewable on the Site. For up to 30 days after deactivation it is still possible to restore your account if it was accidentally or wrongfully deactivated. Absent a separate arrangement between you and CCV to extend your deactivation period, after 30 days, we begin the process of deleting your account from our systems, which can take up to a week.
Should this policy change, we would comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which requires us to notify and obtain consent from a parent or guardian before we collect, use and disclose the personal information of children who are under 13 years of age.
Unless our sites and services contain the "Privacy Rights for California Minors in the Digital World" supplemental terms, our sites and services do not collect age from users under 18. If you reside in California and are a minor (you are under 18 years of age) and you are using a site or service that collects your age as a registration requirement and you submit content, please follow the instructions on the supplemental terms to request removal of public content. Please note that this removal does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on our sites and services if the content you posted has been shared or reposted. We are only obligated to remove content that you post, where you posted it. There are certain circumstances in which we do not have to remove your content, including if any other state or federal law requires us to maintain the information, we anonymize the content by removing identifying characteristics, or we paid you for the content you posted. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, our services may allow users above the age of 18 (such as healthcare providers, parent and guardians) to submit personal information about others, including minors. Such users assume full responsibility over their submission, use and transmission of such information.
OUR CALIFORNIA DO NOT TRACK NOTICE
We do not currently respond or take any action with respect to web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party web sites or online services. We may allow third parties, such as ad servers, to collect personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across different web sites when a consumer uses the Site.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
We do not share personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless you affirmatively agree to such disclosure, typically by "opting in" to receive information from a third party that is participating in a sweepstakes or other promotion on one of our sites, for example. If you ask us to share your personal information with a third party for its marketing purposes, we will only share information in connection with that specific promotion since we do not share information with any third party (other than our service providers) on an ongoing basis. To prevent disclosure of your personal information for use in direct marketing by a third party, do not "opt in" to such use when you provide personal information on one of our sites.
Users residing in certain jurisdictions, like California, have a right to access personal information held by us about them and their right of access can be exercised in accordance with applicable law. California law requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California residents asking about the business's practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes if the resident has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. We have such a policy in place.
IN THE EVENT OF MERGER, SALE, OR BANKRUPTCY
YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS
This document was last updated on April 22, 2016